Unacademy is an EdTech platform that empowers millions of students across India to prepare for competitive exams and achieve their aspirations. Product management at Unacademy is about customer obsession. It is about getting under the skin of our users, understanding both their stated as well as unstated needs, and solving for them.
Unacademy was founded by Gaurav Munjal, Roman Saini, and Hemesh Singh in 2015. It was started as a YouTube channel by Gaurav Munjal in 2010. Headquartered in Bengaluru, Unacademy is India’s largest learning platform with a growing network of 47,000+ registered Educators and over 40 million Learners. With education being imparted to students across 5,000 cities in India, in 14 Indian languages, Unacademy is changing the way India learns. Unacademy Group consists of Unacademy, PrepLadder, Mastree, CodeChef, and Graphy. The company is backed by prominent investors such as Tiger Global, SoftBank Vision Fund 2, Facebook, General Atlantic, Sequoia India, SAIF Partners, Nexus Venture Partners, Steadview Capital, and Blume Ventures.
A sneak peak into the opportunity:
- 43 million learners currently on the platform & growing at an unprecedented rate, with 400k+ active subscribers
- 12.2 billion+ minutes of watch time
- 1,60,000 Live Classes with concurrent learners exceeding 60,000 for certain classes
- 47,000+ registered educators on the platform, teaching across 47 categories
About this role
Unacademy is looking for passionate software engineers to help change the world – join us on our mission to provide a world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
As an engineer at Unacademy, you’ll help learners build mastery regardless of where they are, and regardless of whether they are accessing Unacademy on the browser, on Android, or on iOS. You’ll help build cutting-edge infrastructure to enable students of all backgrounds to succeed on high-stakes assessments like the UPSC and IIT. Ultimately, you’ll be part of helping millions of learners to unlock their full potential. We are looking for smart, dynamic individuals with outstanding programming skills and a great passion for developing beautiful, innovative software.
What You’ll Do
- Work on hard problems in Data Engineering at scale.
- Build systems which make high quality data and processing available to everyone in the company to build better products.
- Work on various Data Products, used both internally by our teams and externally by the leaners.
- Model problems, then design, write, test and release code to solve them!
- Collaborate with your peers via code reviews to level up yourself and others, to improve your ability to provide effective feedback, and to achieve higher quality code.
- Build using technology that is best suited to solving problems for our learners.
- Work on code that is used by millions of monthly active learners.
What You Need
- 1-4 years of professional full-time experience building and maintaining complex software on a cross-functional team. You’ll join us in writing clean, maintainable software that solves hard problems. You’ll write testable, quality code. You’ll push the team and the mission forward with your contributions.
- Knowledge of any one language in Python/Java/Go
- Experience of Unit testing
- Experience building highly scalable service
- Experience in Data Engineering is a plus
- Experience in real-time system, stream processing, batch processing is a plus
- Experience with Big Data platforms is a plus
- You’re an incessant problem solver and tougher the problem gets, more fun you have.
- You love to own end to end responsibility, starting from defining the problem statement (either yourself or alongside your peers), development (PoC if needed), testing, releasing in staging & then production env and finally monitoring.
Life @ Unacademy:
Our mantra of “Learning as a way of life” is not limited to our student users, but extends to our team as well. We drive this with a special allowance for books & an internal library of courses, created by and for Unacademians themselves.
We celebrate our teams’ hard work with company wide offsites, twice a year, to rejuvenate & recharge. We take care of our people with wellness programs (In-house mental health counsellor, meditation & fitness sessions), fully stocked pantry, game zone, and a top-notch medical plan that covers employees + dependents.
To prepare for this job, check out tons of free content here
Learn about our AntWak Experiential Program Data Engineering here